Re: Etch d-i beta2 : bug for lvm on raid ?

David Härdeman wrote:
> If you assemble the array manually using mdadm you probably can (see the
> man page for mdadm, I think it's something like --assume-clean).

OK, thanks. This is --assume-clean, effectively.

> As a long term solution, support for
> block-device-with-no-partitions-present-or-possible should probably be
> added to parted (for dm, md, lvm, evms, etc).

+1

> Try to first create the RAID1 using the regular user interface, then goto
> the second console and create the lv's by hand (pvcreate, vgcreate,
> lvcreate)...then you should be able to go back to the d-i partitioning
> menu and refresh it by exiting and re-entering it. Hopefully your lvm
> partitions will show up after that.

Playing with lvm commands at CLI solved the problem : d-i detected the
LVs (/usr /var etc) on lvm (/dev/md2). And I was able to install the
base system :)

Only problem after reboot: grub complained about an unknown partition
type (0xde) when using root=/dev/md1. Perhaps I forgot to specify
the mount points, or grub is just not "md-friendly", but I'll just
stick with plain good old LILO to avoid future problems.

> David

Thanks for your quick and efficient response :)

PS That box seems to really hate Linux : the hardware just crashed
(BIOS could not even start now). Sometimes I hate "fry-days" :-/

Ch.