Re: Proposal for integration of the graphical installer

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:33:09AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:05:08AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 May 2006 11:44, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > > Keep the current d-i images as they exist
> > > and add extra images for g-i.
> >
> > That would lead to an explosion of the number of images though which is
> > not what we or the debian-cd team wants.

We all want [1] a graphical installer in addition to the current installer.
That means there are additional images. The increase in numbers
is less then the double[2] of the current amount.

> I don't know about the i386 situationin detail, but it is probable that there,
> machines with low-mem situations will need the normal installer over the g-i
> one. I know i was not able to boot g-i on my PReP box for example, and given
> yaboot 6MB netbooting limit ...

Fool^WFull switch to g-i will kill serial line and ssh installs.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] Some want g-i more than others want it
[2] e.g. lowmem-gui wouldn't make sense, surely not an "explosion"