Re: Proposal for integration of the graphical installer

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:09:36AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 14 May 2006 12:18, Sven Luther wrote:
> > It is usefull to keep those images relatively small, but given their
> > current size, growing from 250 to 300 MB or whatever it is, will
> > probably pass un-noticed.
>
> Right. That issue does not really apply to ppc as, as you say, the
> businesscard and netinst images are a lot bigger anyway than on i386.
>
> > So, i would vote for always including the g-i images onto the business
> > card, netinst and cd isos, with the same caveat as on i386 concerning
> > the installable tasks of CD 1. DVD medias should be un-problematic
> > though.
>
> Well, IIRC for ppc the desktop task did not fit on CD1 when Sarge was
> released. Not sure if that has changed or not, but I doubt it.

Well, splitting the desktop task to install only gnome or only KDE, as i
remeùber it did, may help here. I imagine we could have all of the gnome stuff
on CD1, and all pf the KDE stuff on CD2, with maybe a copy of d-i on CD2,
which would default to the KDE desktop. Maybe only the main 32bit image
though.

powrmacs are much more likely to have DVD drives than PC machines, so maybe a
reduced-size DVD iso with all the .debs needed for the main tasks only would
be of interest.

This one could even include a debianized version of the ubuntu live images.

Friendly,

Sven Luther