Re: Proposal for integration of the graphical installer

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:05:08AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 14 May 2006 11:44, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Keep the current d-i images as they exist
> > and add extra images for g-i.
>
> That would lead to an explosion of the number of images though which is
> not what we or the debian-cd team wants.

I don't know about the i386 situationin detail, but it is probable that there,
machines with low-mem situations will need the normal installer over the g-i
one. I know i was not able to boot g-i on my PReP box for example, and given
yaboot 6MB netbooting limit ...

That said, now that yaboot is orphaned, maybe a new maintainer will show up
wuth the guts to stand up to Ethan on this. Already the fedora core guys
threatened to fork yaboot away from him in order to get development done, so
he could be a bit more malleable maybe. Colin, can you comment on this, as you
are the most likely candidate for a yaboot takeover.

Frioendly,

Sven Luther