Re: powerpc daily sid_d-i CD builds working again

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:01:17PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 15:28 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > What framebuffer is used ? atyfb probably ?
>
> I don't really know. I used video=ofonly but it doesnt help.
> I can login on terminal 4, and it seems that there are no fb module (at
> least find /lib/module/2.6.16-powerpc-1 -name '*fb*' outputs nothing.
>
> I have a /dev/fb0

What does dmesg say, and also what is the content of /proc/fb. My powerbook
says :

$ more /proc/fb
0 ATI Radeon Lf

> > I believe that this one is builtin in the kernel, it used to be at
> > least. Can
> > you check that ?
> >
> > Basically, there is two possibilities of it failing :
> >
> >   1) the framebuffer device is not builtin, and cannot be found as
> > module.
>
> how can I check I check if framebuffer is builtin ?

Read the dmesg output, and see what it says. Check /proc/fb too. Check the
.config file.

Or alternatively give us the lspci output corresponding to your graphic card,
and the kernel version used, and i will investigate for you.

> >   2) the graphical frontend doesn't know how to deal with builtin
> > framebuffer
> >   devices.
> >
> > What strikes me at odd though, is that if you are having output, then
> > you
> > already have a framebuffer device, and thus there is a problem around
> > 2).
> > MAybe it tries to loade vesafb, or something such.
>
> dmesg | grep fb outputs nothing useful

Ah, this is suspisious. At least offb and radeonfb are builtin, and either
should report a fb-greppable string. Maybe dmesg did overflow ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther