Re: Proposal for integration of the graphical installer

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 11:23:52PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Yesterday Joey and I discussed the integration of the graphical installer
> into the regular build system, and the result is below for wider
> discussion and comments.
>
> The below should be valid for both i386, but may need adjustment for
> powerpc. Comments from Colin on that are very welcome.

Just a note concerning powerpc.

Most recent powerpc hardware come with slot-loading optical drives. This means
that keeping the businesscard and netinst images small to fit in the
businesscard and netinst medias, apart from being probably a doomed effort, is
not all that useful in itself, as business card CDs are useless with
slot-loading drives.

It is usefull to keep those images relatively small, but given their current
size, growing from 250 to 300 MB or whatever it is, will probably pass
un-noticed.

So, i would vote for always including the g-i images onto the business card,
netinst and cd isos, with the same caveat as on i386 concerning the
installable tasks of CD 1. DVD medias should be un-problematic though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther