Re: Installation

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:12:07PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
    [ nice E-mail in German ]
> English:
> Mario used the AMD64 Netinst.iso and obtained the error message that no hard
> disk was found.
> According to the link I mentioned the driver for the Adaptec 29320 Controller
> is closed source. I suggested to at least try the module (even it is very
> likely to fail) and concluded that it may be possible to get it working by
> adapting the kernel source to be compatatible with SuSE or Rad Hat which support
> it. Maybe it's also possible to just compile the module (or at least the kernel
> interface), but it's closed source ...

So better buy hardware that does have free (libre) software support.

Besides that, there is no hardware with free (gratuit) software.
You pay for the software when you buy the hardware.

Demand[1] from your vendor (and/or manufactor) libre software support.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] Okay, just ask nicely for it.
    No libre software means going to the next vendor or manufactor.