Re: installing from a Compact Flash IDE using the USB stick receipe

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:22:29PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> [2006.05.07.1442 +0200]:
> >         2)      mkdosfs -F 16 /dev/sda1
> >         3)      syslinux /dev/sda1
> >         4)      mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> does it need to be VFAT? I'd really rather not use a crap
> filesystem...

It is a booting device, the bootsector needs to be valid.
Writing the bootsector is done with syslinux.
Syslinux knows about the VFAT file system.

Changing the file system, would mean changing the bootloader (in the
bootsector )

Choosing between a working setup on a "crap filesystem"
and a not yet working setup on a "fine filesystem"
is for some people no choice ...

HtH
GSt

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin