Re: Debian Installer team monthly meeting minutes (20060429 meeting)

In article <[🔎] 20060502175954.GC20405@djedefre.onera> you write:
>  i386: what to do?
>  -----------------
>
>No strong conclusion here. The discussion kinda got lost among various
>more general consideration.
>
>There seems to be an increasing consensus that supporting 2.4 on i386
>is mostly a waste of time, but actually dropping it would break stuff,
>mostly Joey Hess automated tests which are very useful to the team.

There is still i386 hardware that does not work properly with any 2.6
kernel.  My laptop goes into "screen off" mode after some timeout on
every 2.6 kernel tested (that would boot), and reboot is required to
get the display back on.

>  sparc: drop 2.4 for next Beta=20
>
>General agreement for dropping it. It will break floppt images that
>are currently build by G. Stappers (daily sparc images).
>
>There are some issues with 2.6 kernels on sparc32, but 2.4 has issues
>as well. Jurij Smakov is working on this.

2.6 still crashes on busy sparc64 smp systems, as of a 2.6.17 release
candidate.
--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html