Re: RFC: combined i386/amd64 install images

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:47:11AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> I have proposed this before but only now that amd64 has been added to
> Debian can this realy be done (soon):
>
> It would be great if the Debian Installer for i386 could also install
> amd64.
>

> Here is how it should work and what needs patching:
>
> 1) Grub detects a 64bit cpu and loads a 64bit kernel and a ramdisk
> with 64bit modules as default (if it finds one).

No thanks.  I would want to be able to choose to run 32bit on a 64bit
cpu.  Besides grub isn't used when booting from the install cd.
isolinux/syslinux is.

> 2) The ramdisk (apart from 64bit modules) is the same for 32bit and
> 64bit kernels. All userland is 32bit.

That might work.

> 3) If a 64bit kernel is running the architecture is set to amd64,
> otherwise i386. This could also be a question, probably in
> choose-mirror, but with low priority. Should that be in archdetect?
> cpudetect?

It should be something always asked I believe.  I still think having the
images seperate make sense, since it keeps the images smaller, and no
one is likely to use both options at once anyhow.

> 4) choose-mirror filters the mirror.Masterlist for i386 or amd64 and
> sets -ai386 or -aamd64 for debootstrap.
>
> 5) Kernel selection picks and lists kernels from i386 or amd64.
>

> The size increase for the install images would be an extra kernel and
> initrd on all images and a full set of base debs for the netinst/full
> CD.

So not insignificant.  Why make the image larger when most people will
only want one of the two anyhow?

> Comments?
>
> Extra idea: Instead of a 32bit ramdisk and 64bit ramdisk could we make
> a modules32.initramfs, modules64.initramfs and installer.initramfs and
> have grub load one of the modules and the installer initramfs?

Forget grub.  It does not apply.

Len Sorensen