Re: Debian installer doesn't install kernel

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:56:27AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> No, the boot Beta 2 boot floppy should be usable with daily images. After
> all, that's all it does: boot the installer. I don't see how it could
> result in the installer deleting files near the end of the install.
> If it would have an effect, you would see it much earlier in the process.

For a pair of root.img and boot.img visit
 http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/beta2/images/floppy/

(That doesn't solve the problem that boot.img is missing from the dailly
build, it just allows to continue chasing this "bug" )

> As I've said before, this is an extremely strange "bug" (quotes because I
> doubt it is a bug) which you'll probably have to trace yourself as I
> doubt anyone else will be able to reproduce it.
> To reproduce it, your best chance is to add a 'set -x' to
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/base-installer before it is run and study what the
> script is doing. The trace from the script will appear
> in /var/log/syslog.

For setting the 'set -x' you will have to switch to VT2.
The default editor in d-i is named 'nano'

When you get an error on `nano /var/lib/dpkg/info/base-installer.postinst`
then try later in the installation process. (the installer fetches some
installer components (some files become later available))

Jack,
When you got two copies of this E-mail,
then you are subscribed to the mailinglist debian-boot@lists.debian.org
the ML where the develop of d-i happens.
( http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/ has a webform for subscribtion )

Cheers
Geert Stappers