Re: [d-i-commits] r36125 - trunk/installer/doc/i18n

Duor, cuoŋománu 6. b. 2006 17.35, Christian Perrier čálii:
> Quoting Børre Gaup (albbas-guest@costa.debian.org):
> > Author: albbas-guest
> > Date: 2006-04-06 15:15:31 +0000 (Thu, 06 Apr 2006)
> > New Revision: 36125
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/installer/doc/i18n/languages.xml
> > Log:
> > Updated info on Northern Sami
>
> Well, I prefer updating this information myself...

Sorry, I thought I was supposed to do this.
> Your edits compeltely reformatted the file, making it hard to read and
> understand.

Sorry again, I used KXMLEditor to edit the file, so that is the reason for the
reformatting.
> I reverted them as, moreover, the addition of "NOSEFI" in the
> "countries_official" and "countries_most_spoken" is wrong with regards
> to the rules we use:
>
> -countries_official lists countries were the said language is one of
>  the *national* languages. My understanding of Sami is that it could
>  be considered a "regional" language more than a national language (ie
>  a language used for official publications in the country such as law
>  texts and the like). Of course, I know that is is officially teached
>  in some parts of Norway (which is why you try supporting it in
>  Skolelinux), but, for me, it isn't enough to qualify and be listed
>  there....without any offense intended of course

Sami _is_ an official language in these three countries, it has been decided
by the governments in these countries that sami is an official language. If a
citizen in these countries send a letter in sami to some authority these
letters _shall_ be handled as any other official language, and in many cases,
the answer if also obliged to be in sami. A lot of work is being done in
municipalities, counties and state authorities to have their official papers
translated into sami. Also laws in Norway and Finland have been, and are
being translated to sami. That was why I added NOSEFI to this list. This
should be enough to warrant NOSEFI as an entry in countries official.

> -countries_most_spoken lists the country/countries where the said
>  language is the most spoken language of the country. This is of course
>  not the case for Sweden, Finland and Norway....

Ok, then I was completely way off.

> Both are used to paint the world in red and show countries that we
> "cover", depending on the way we count.
>
> This is why *no* country was listed for Sami. This was really intended
> and does absolutely not reflect the views I, or others, may have about
> the language of course....

Ok, once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

regards,
--
Børre Gaup