[g-i] about GTK 2.0.9 -> 2.10 migration

Hi

As i promised some times ago, i'm trying to summarize changes that
recently occourred to some of the libraries the g-i depends upon and
that caused breakages in the building process of some udebs.
So far, we've been using libgtk+-directfb-2.0.9 togheter with DFB
0.9.22 and everything was fine; recently DFB 0.9.24 made its way into
experimental and frans reported problems in building the libgtk+-
directfb-2.0 udeb against DFB 0.9.24.
This was indeed expected as in DFB relase 0.9.23 some functions
changed their names while the old DFB backend included in the gtk+-
directfb-2.0.9 set of -dev libraries was not patched accordingly and
hence still refers to those removed symbols.
What can we do about this? the best thing to do, IMHO, is staying with
GTK 2.0.9 and DFB 0.9.22 until we're ready for a complete switch to a
brand new set of libraries ("all or nothing" approach :).
The libraries that need to go togheter are all the below listed:

*NOT YET RELEASED
-GTK+ 2.10.0 (release date for someday around May, currently in CVS)
-DFB >= 0.9.24 (0.9.25 is in CVS and should be released this/next
week)
-Cairo 1.2.0 ( no release date planned yet, currently in CVS )
*ALREADY RELEASED
-Glib >= 2.10.1 , ATK, Pango, etc..

As you can see, some of the libraries we need are still in CVS: this
night, on a IRC chat, Frans, Davide, Eddy and other talked about the
opportunity of creating temporary udebs and development debs from CVS.
While this is possible as all the libraries currently in CVS are in
good shape and usually compile without problems, i cannot tell if the
efforts are really worth it.
Note that the GTK frontend sourcecode is not tied to any specific GTK
2.x version and the graphical frontend itself (the gtk.so object
provided by current cdebconf-gtk-udeb and built against current -dev
debs ) depends from libgtk+-directfb-2.0.so.0 (any version) only and
not from libdirectfb-0.9.so.xx.0.0.
This means it shuld be possible buildng the cdebconf-gtk-udeb against
old  -dev (DFB 0.9.22 and GTKDFB 2.0.9) debs and run it against udebs
from CVS.
I'm not sure 100% about this but, if someone is brave enough to create
experimental udebs, i can provide him all the i386 precompiled binaries
he needs.

friendly

Attilio

Solo per te TISCALI ADSL con 2 mesi GRATIS + 30 euro di sconto!
Dalla 4 MEGA alla 24 MEGA, scopri l'Adsl Tiscali adatta a te. Con Tiscali Adsl senza limiti hai GRATIS 2 mesi di canone. E oggi in più, solo per pochi giorni, 30 euro di sconto. Non perdere questa straordinaria occasione. L'offerta è valida solo da questa mail. Scopri ora!
http://promozioni.tiscali.it/webmail0406/