Re: DebianInstaller does not include a driver for my xyz network card ...

Il giorno dom, 02/04/2006 alle 14.29 +0200, Jean-Didier Garaud ha
scritto:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install debian on a new laptop, wanting to try a net-install, and
> i totally fall in the FAQ :
>  "DebianInstaller does not include a driver for my xyz network card, but I have
> (tarball) driver sources. What are the steps for building that driver?"
>
> The network card is a realtek 8168, and realtek provides the driver sources on
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?lineid=1&famid=4&series=2004111&Software=True
>
> Can you explain me howto add this driver to the installer ?

In theory you need to download Debian kernel source used in the
installer (2.6.8 for stable, 2.6.16 for unstable IIRC), copy the config
from the installer, create your module, reboot the installer, load your
module and complete the install. After the installation you need to add
the module again.

Regards
Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc@linux.it  http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.