Re: [g-i] Re: TTF font for Georgian

On 3/11/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 02:08, Eddy Petrişor wrote:
> > > AFAICT, that would be the range from 10A0-10FF [1].
> > > For now, I'd propose to include the full range.
> >
> > Already done (see r35369)
>
> Although it is not enterly clear from the comments in the script, I assume
> this script is intended to do the stripping at d-i build time.

You assume wrong. It all depends on the contents of the files lang2range.
What you put in there is at your free will.

> I do appreciate your work Eddy, but, as I've said before, I'm not in favor
> of this and thus it's not going to happen unless someone can give very
> good arguments why we should.

I mostly favor having a dh_stripfont deb helper which should be used
by udebs' make rule.
dh_stripfont should use some ranges which should be controlled by us
(d-i team); these ranges should NOT be (IMO) daily snapshots, but
ranges that contain all the codepoints that were ever present in
translations at some point (we should also remove the ones that have
appeared accidentaly - by request).

>   the required memory for g-i is a lot bigger anyway
>   and the relative saving by extreme stripping is not significant.

I am not yet convinced you are right, but we shall see

> So, we should definitely do stripping of fonts to avoid overlap, but we
> should also do it in the udebs themselves because the stripping is
> relatively static and not at d-i build time.

I agree, that's why I suggested having a dh_stripfont deb helper script.

--
Regards,
EddyP