Re: Adding cdebconf plugins to d-i svn?

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Max Vozeler wrote:
> > I wrote a cdebconf plugin (only newt for now) to help reading
> > random data from /dev/random while showing a progressbar and
> > allowing the user to type randomly at the keyboard to feed the
> > kernel entropy pool (and so speed up reading from /dev/random).
> > It's used in partman-crypto for generating encryption keys.
> >
> > What do people think: Would it make sense to commit this plugin
> > to d-i svn? It might serve as example (although not shining :-)
> > of how cdebconf newt plugins can be built out-of-tree. If so,
> > where should it go? I think packages/cdebconf-plugins could be
> > a good place if more plugins are expected in the future.
> >
> > The code currently lives in
> > http://svn.hinterhof.net/public/cdebconf-entropy
>
> Yes, it should totally go into d-i svn, IMHO.

I'll commit it shortly,

> I'd say only use packages/cdebconf-plugins if that would be a single
> source package that built multiple plugins, otherwise
> packages/cdebconf-entropy would be fine.

My thought was that it might clutter the packages/ directory once
there will be more plugins - and so perhaps it made sense to
organise it similar to packages/partman and put each plugin into
a subdirectory named after the package.

I think some plugins for gtk widgets may emerge from g-i work
and for example Tollef might want to move his keystep plugin to
d-i svn at some point. Then again this is svn, not inflexible
old CVS, so it can all be moved any time :-)

cheers,
Max