Re: Debian Installer team monthly meeting minutes (20060304 meeting)

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:24:21AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Kernel .udeb and the way to handle out-of-tree and non-free modules
>
> Bastian Blank and Sven Luther summarize the needed changes in D-I:
>
> - anna: allow selection of the components
> - libdebian-installer: support reading of more than one packages file
> - ftp.debian.org: experimental udeb section

And at least the sections main and non-free.

> (post-meeting comment by Joey Hess: "which Leaves off the whole issue
> of modules needed before anna is available")

This is correct.

There are two possibilities:
- cdrom and similar:
  At least on the main architectures, I don't no any new system which
  use anything else than pata/sata for cdrom/dvd. For current kernels,
  sata cdrom needs a special setting anyway.
- network:
  AFAIK the following drivers are effected:
  - tg3. Can work without firmware and there is a patch floating around
    which modifies them to use the firmware loader.
  - ipw2100, ipw2200: I don't even know if the firmware is
    distributable.

> firmware files in /lib/firmware so that they're loaded by udev

And we need a special firmware agent, which don't make the loading fail
if the file is not available yet. This also needs some communication
with anna to load the required firmwares.

> (post-meeting comment: we also need to install them in /lib/firmware
> on the installed system in base-installer, probably)

Correct.

> Work about persistent device naming scheme

My current plans for s390, if I'm able to finish that, always needs
device names in the /dev/disk/by-path form, as it is the only one which
provides the neccesary information to also configure the underlaying
device.

Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
		-- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",