Re: "Not partitionable support" with 2.6 kernel-installer

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 06:01:46PM +0100, Pelle rossa wrote:
> Hi to everyone,
> I'm an italian debian user.......so excuse me for bad english.
>
> I have a DELL Inspiron 9300.
>
> If I try to install Debian Sarge in "expert26" mode, arrived at the
> time to partitioning hard-disk, I receive this answer:
>
> "Not partitionable support
> Verify that the hard disk is attached to the computer"
>
> The hard-disk is a Seagate: ST960822A
>
> So I tried to install with 2.4.27 kernel, but the system is not
> completely good, because ACPI is not loaded.
>
> I thinked to install "ETCH", hopeful that his new installer for 2.6
> kernel is better and recognize all my hardware without troubles.
>
> Please help me to install 2.6 kernel on my computer.

Try a daily builds installer.  They should be pretty good given they are
close to another beta for etch's installer.

A new machine, especially from Dell, is likely to have trouble with
Sarge, given it has drivers that are over a year old.

If you can install with 2.4, you can always upgrade the kernel using
2.6.15 from www.backports.org to see if that enables acpi for you.  If
the install doesn't work with 2.4, then try the daily builds version.

Len Sorensen