"Not partitionable support" with 2.6 kernel-installer

Hi to everyone,
I'm an italian debian user.......so excuse me for bad english.

I have a DELL Inspiron 9300.

If I try to install Debian Sarge in "expert26" mode, arrived at the
time to partitioning hard-disk, I receive this answer:

"Not partitionable support
Verify that the hard disk is attached to the computer"

The hard-disk is a Seagate: ST960822A

So I tried to install with 2.4.27 kernel, but the system is not
completely good, because ACPI is not loaded.

I thinked to install "ETCH", hopeful that his new installer for 2.6
kernel is better and recognize all my hardware without troubles.

Please help me to install 2.6 kernel on my computer.

Thanks very much.
Thanks very much.