Re: Netinst can no longer be used without network access

> I agree that this rather defeats the concept of the original netinst image
> and we should think about this. Joey has always maintained that a netinst
> install (only base system) is not a viable system. It does lack, for
> example, an MTA.

Well, another side advantage of the netinst CD was allowing quick
tests of installability *without* network connection. This is for
instance why I have been able to achieve a *lot* of localized installs
tests while travelling from/back work....and this is why I haven't
completed many tests right now for beta2 because I need a network
connection which I have:

-at work where I have many things else to do
-at home where I have many things else to do

I agree that "allowing bubulle to test D-I in the train" is not
exactly a high priority release target. However, we had proofs that
installing a full system with a netinst CD is not something that is
anecdotic...even if there is no MTA (after all, many systems do no
care about a working MTA).

> I guess we could add an option to skip mirror selection (and thus also
> apt-setup and pkgsel). It does however mean that they will need to set up
> their sources.list and complete the installation manually after reboot. I
> guess the "standard" task in tasksel is still usable after reboot?

This would be an interesting and quite costless option, yes. Add this
to beta3/rc1 release goals?