Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

On 2/16/06, Eddy Petrişor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Davide Viti <zinosat@tiscali.it> wrote:
> > Hi Eddy,
> >
> > I just noticed this on the wiki [1] ("Arabic scripts"):
> >
> > "Apparently both nazli and ae_AlMohanad are ok for Arabic, but nazli is "definitely not the font to use""
> >
> > why do you say "nazli is "definitely not the font to use"" ?
> > I've never seen a discussion with such a statement: can you eventually provide a link?
>
> I quoted somebody on the IRC channel... will provide the log tomorrow.

Sorry, I haven't saved the log, apparently :-( . I have asked bubulle
and adn if they might have the logs from #arabeyes on the night of
21st to 22nd, but I don't have an aswer yet.

If anybody has those logs I would appreciate it if he/she would send them to me.

> > AFAIK ae_AlMohanad looks good with Arabic but has problems with Persian; nazli works ok with both.
> > If it's true that nazli is not the the font to use, which font should we use then?

Having looked again over the screenshots I made on the night of 21st
to 22nd of January, I suspect this conclusion might be erroneous, too
(notice the different look of the persian[1] and arabic[2] writing),
so I suggest ignoring this remark. (I'll wait for your ok, then remove
the remark from the wiki page)

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/persian/
[2] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/arabic/
--