Re: AW: insufficient dependencies by debootstrap

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:33:53PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:42:25AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
| > On Saturday 31 December 2005 12:13, Miro Dietiker, MD Systems wrote:
| > > Since debootstrap is also intended to be executed on a non-debian
| > > system to build a debian system (especially for crossplatform),
| > > these
| > > prerequisites are absolutely needed. I wanted to fetch the
| > > dependencies
| > > with an automatic script, but needed to complete this list manually.
| >
| > I have added a list of the required commands in the Installation Guide to
| > make it clear that a bit more is required than just /bin/sh, wget and ar.
| >
> > > About the cross-platform issue:
> > > Debootstrap tells to be crossplatform.
> > > /usr/share/doc/debootstrap/README.Debian
> > I've just checked this, but you are mistaken. This is listed as a _future_
> > feature and thus would not be supported by current debootstrap.
>
> Ah, but README.Debian was last added ages ago, so now is in fact the
> future. Cross-strap support and "intuiting required/base" already exist,
> in particular.
>
> To do a cross-platform install, something like:
>
> 	solaris:/$ debootstrap --foreign --arch i386 ...
>
> 	[boot into newly installed filesystem]
> 	i386:/$ debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
>
> should work. No guarantees, unfortunately.
>
> HTH.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

I'm still not sure if this ML is there right place for debootstrap
questions. I hinted previously[1] it may not be so.
That could have scared the original poster away. With this posting
gets Miro Dietiker a carbon copy, CC, of the follow-up of his/her
debootstrap question.

HTH
GSt

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg01347.html