Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

On 1/31/06, Mike Emmel <mike.emmel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we trying to remove overlapping unicode ranges ?

Actually I have been working on that and I already have a list of
ranges; the only thing that I need is to associate the needed ranges
to different language codes(trivial), according to the glyphs various
languages need. in this way we will remove the possibility of having
mixed fonts.

> Does persian work standalone ?

As far as I have seen nobody has confirmed or infirmed that the screen
shots I made with nazli [1] (as the only font) while using 2.0.9 look
fine.

> Are there pango bugs outstanding agianst arabic and pharsi ?
> Do you see the problems on the desktop with the x11 gdk ?

Unfortunately i can't test that.

> exactly the same code so I think the bugs may be in pango.

Unless people don't see this probem in X+GTK.

I was wondering if G-I makes the right decision to hardcode that
freefont is the default font; I have seen that for indic scripts
freefont is sometimes picked as the first font and screws up the nice
Mukti font. If we are going to strip all fonts (as I told you on
Sunday, Davide) so they do not overlap, then there will be no need to
hardcode a default font (of course, unified glyphs are a different
issue and Frans' script should be used). What do you think?

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/persian/
--
Regards,
EddyP