FWD: Re: Disappearing apt-setup

----- Forwarded message from Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> -----

From: Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:50:56 -0500
To: Graham <Graham.Williams@togaware.com>
Subject: Re: Disappearing apt-setup

Graham wrote:
> I note in the base-config changelog that you moved apt-setup from
> base-config to udeb. I use apt-setup in wajig. What should I do to now
> get apt-setup onto the system (sid).

The source to the new apt-setup program that was added to d-i to replace
the old one can be found in the apt-setup source package. The code was
written in such a way that it should be able to run outside d-i in
theory, but nobody has worked on doing that and producing a deb of it.

The new version depends on some other program to prompt the user for
mirror information and pass it via debconf; in d-i this is done by the
choose-mirror package, which also doesn't currently produce a deb.

The new version of the program is also designed to work much
differently; it just focuses on getting a basic working apt setup and
not on letting the user edit an existing one or do more complicated
things. And it is designed to work in different ways (set up cdrom or
web sources) depending on what subset of it is available on the
installation media.

While this simplification was very useful in the context of the
installer, and removed a lot of questions from the install process, it
might not make it as suitable for general use afterwards. But I do think
that it in combination with choose-mirror could be put together into
something generally useful outside the installer.

I also think there's room for a lot of improvement in general-purpose
apt setup tools. Neither the old apt-setup nor other tools like
synaptic's sources.list editors are really ideal.

--
see shy jo