Problems with LVM and the 2.4 kernel

FYI,

I bought a new 300MB ATA drive and had terrible problems
running the installer.  I wanted LVM and every time
after I finished with partitioning the installer would
fail when putting filesystems on the drive.  I eventually
booted the installer with the 2.6 kernel to get it to
work.  (The system is an old 400MHz celeron.)

It would be helpful if the error message mentioned this
work-around.  If not that then at least the install
manual.

Partitions:
400MB /boot
299.6GB for the volume group
400MB swap logical volume
5GB / logical volume
remaining available for logical volumes

(Yes, it makes sense 2.6 is required.  But it was only
obvious to me after spending a lot of time on other
dead-ends.)

Regards,

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein