Re: How to run base-config in the first stage

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 02:46:21PM +0000, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Mmmh,  as  far as I   understand it  seems  that  only  some parts  of
> base-config have been moved into d-i,

No, base-config is totally dead, is no longer used by current d-i
images, and will be removed soon.

> for example the apt setup
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-apt
>
> has the "d-i" prefix in the preseed lines, while account setup
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-account
>
> still  as "passwd"   prefix,  that I   think  means that  it won't  be
> considered by d-i,  but rather by  base-config when it  runs passwd in
> the second stage.

The "passwd" bit at the start of the line only affects the owner of the
entry in the debconf database, which has some impact on purging. Yes, it
should be changed to "d-i" now. However, either way, this has no effect
on when the entry is looked up. (This seems to be a common
misconception; in retrospect perhaps the question should have been the
first thing on a preseed line, not the owner.)