Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Hi,

At 16 Dec 05 01:48:38 GMT,
Ming Hua wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:43:46PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> > IMHO antialiased uming.ttf for simplifed/traditional is enough visible
> > for me.
> > http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/nox-ttf-simple.png
> > http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/nox-ttf-traditional.png
>
> I agree that the anti-aliased uming.ttf is good enough.  I also agree
> that the style inconsistency caused by Japanese using Chinese fonts in
> the current setup is a serious problem.  And since apparently only
> Japanese people are working on this, I would say go ahead with whatever
> makes Japanese looks best.  All three alternatives you posted looks

OK, I'd like to take anti-aliased uming.ttf for Chinese Simplifed/Traditional.

> reasonably good to me, altough there are some glitches about font
> consistency in the simplified Chinese case (just an example, look at the
> title "choose keyboard layout" for the nox-ttf-simple.png, the last two
> glyphs), and I'll write about them later.

Yeah, this was reason why my response was late.
We tried to find the reason and finally Hidetaka noticed some glyph in
uming.ttf refer CJK compatibility ideograph (U+F900-U+FAFF).

Perhaps fontforge couldn't handle such reference. So that's just
workaround but I included this region in uming.ttf to
zh.ttf. Fortunately including them doesn't enlarge file size so much.

-rw-r--r-- 1 kmuto kmuto 1154232 2005-12-23 10:33 zh.ttf

http://kmuto.jp/debian/mtu/pool/main/t/ttf-compact-fonts/ttf-compact-fonts-udeb_1.10_all.udeb
is fixed version.
(APT repository "deb http://kmuto.jp/debian/mtu unstable main" is more comfortable to
install ttf-compact-fonts-udeb.)