Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Hi Muto-san,

Thank you so much for working on the CJK font issue.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:43:46PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:

> At 13 Dec 05 21:48:30 GMT,
> Ming Hua wrote:
>
> > The screenshots from Hidetaka Iwai [3,4] using embedded bitmap font for
> > Chinese looks better than the one above, and all characters are good.
> > It doesn't look like 12pt (which is 16x16 pixels for the bitmaps in
> > xfonts-wqy) as claimed though, but more like 9pt (12x12) or 10pt
> > (13x13).
>
> Right. We noticed fontforge script takes bitmap parameter by pixel,
> not point. Now I fixed to include 16 pixel font.

This is not really a big deal, but the screenshots listed in your page
[1] still doesn't look like 16 pixel.  I'll post a screenshot of 16
pixel xfonts-wqy (probably just in X) when I have time.

> > I'd also like to ask for a favor from people generating screenshots for
> > Chinese.  As zh_CN and zh_TW are practially two different locales (as
> > different as ja and ko are), and has different legacy encodings
> > (therefore often different fonts), please post screenshots for both.
> > The screenshot in [2] only has the zh_CN one, while the one in [4] only
> > has the zh_TW one, so I can't really know how it looks for the other
> > locale.
>
> I took some screenshots of keyboard selection to describe my
> thought. http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/cjk.html
>
> IMHO antialiased uming.ttf for simplifed/traditional is enough visible
> for me.
> http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/nox-ttf-simple.png
> http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/nox-ttf-traditional.png

I agree that the anti-aliased uming.ttf is good enough.  I also agree
that the style inconsistency caused by Japanese using Chinese fonts in
the current setup is a serious problem.  And since apparently only
Japanese people are working on this, I would say go ahead with whatever
makes Japanese looks best.  All three alternatives you posted looks
reasonably good to me, altough there are some glitches about font
consistency in the simplified Chinese case (just an example, look at the
title "choose keyboard layout" for the nox-ttf-simple.png, the last two
glyphs), and I'll write about them later.

Also as discussed on IRC, I'll write a Chinese mail to debian-chinese-*
mailing lists soliciting opnions and suggestions, expecially about the
traditional Chinese.  This has to wait for this weekend though, too busy
this week.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/cjk/cjk.html

Regards,
Ming