Re: Is anyone going to miss the dhcp3-client udeb?

Hello Andrew,

On Thursday 20 October 2005 08:47, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:55:32PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > TTBOMK, the dhcp3-client udeb that dhcp3 produces isn't currently
> > used.
> >
> > I'm intending to fiddle with klibc's ipconfig once the niggling build
> > issues are resolved to see if we can't remove the reliance on the
> > dhcp-client udeb (I have the ulterior motive of trying to get rid of
> > the v2 DHCP package and turn dhcp3 into dhcp).
>
> Judging by the resounding silence, I'm going to assume the answer is
> "no" and cease creating a udeb with my next upload.

I'm very sorry about the fact that we've not responded to your mail
before. There are basically two reasons for this.

One, we were very busy with the d-i beta1 release at the time and
especially Joey was frustrated because of the setbacks we had in that
process.

Two, we are really in a bind regarding the dhcp-client -> dhcp3-client
transition. We have been discussing it on and off over the past months
and Joey has even recently checked once again if dhcp3-client could be
used as is, but the increase in size of the udeb is a real problem for
d-i, especially for floppy based installations [1].
Add to that the fact that dhcp-client currently crashes on Sparc
(#339711).

We really would like to make the switch to a dhcp3-client udeb, but with
its current size it would just mean a big regression for d-i.

Is there any way the udeb could be reduced in size, for example by
disabling some functionality that's not required in an installation
context?

Cheers,
Frans Pop

[1] The following data have been taken from #339711.
For i386           Package      Installed
dhcp-client-udeb      40            132
dhcp3-client-udeb    145            396

For sparc          Package      Installed
dhcp-client-udeb      43            176
dhcp3-client-udeb    150            608

For ia64           Package      Installed
dhcp-client-udeb      70            352
dhcp3-client-udeb    268           1356

i386 root floppy with dhcp-client-udeb          39k free
i386 root floppy with dhcp3-client-udeb         -68k free