base-config: what should replace {early|late}-command?

>From base-config changelog:

    NOTE NOTE NOTE: This means that base-config/early_command is removed.
  * Remove base-config/late_command too, for consistency.

Joey, do you have an idea of what should replace these useful debconf
variables ?

The above change will just kill my automated install named "babelbox"
and, I'm afraid, a lot of automated installs which rely on custom
lists of "aptitude install <bunch of packages>" in late_command.

I bet you already have an idea to replace these useful features..:)