need to try install with latest kernel

I reported earlier (bug 340390) that the etch beta 1 installer could not
detect my hard drive.  It appears to be using the 2.6.12 kernel.

First, am I correct that I get the 2.6 kernel without any special
response to the boot prompt with the etch installer?  By the time I was
able to go to a second screen and type uname I definitely showed 2.6.

There seems to be a significant chance that a newer kernel would have
better luck, since updates to ICH7 have been going in; that's what my
motherboard uses for talking to SATA.(*)

I gather a 2.6.14 installer might be a tricky thing to do.  Last month
had a long thread on using 2.6.14 in the base install phase.  I gather
it's not easy, and I guess using 2.6.14 in the earlier phases, which is
what I need, is even harder.  I also understand that kernel-package
assumes devfs, and that's not present in the leading edge 2.6 kernels.

Does anyone have any suggestions, including that this is a really big
task and I'd be best to avoid it?  Both my time and knowledge are
somewhat limited.  I can return the hardware if it gets too ugly.

(*) However, the updates are for IHC7 M and DM, while I think I have R.
Some distros latest versions (RedHat and Suse) do work with the
motherboard, says Intel.