Re: dmraid support to d-i (Was Re: Yaird, grub and d-i should also support dmraid devices.)

(No need to CC me.)

On Sunday 06 November 2005 15:26, Marco Amadori wrote:
> Alle 14:37, domenica 6 novembre 2005, Frans Pop ha scritto:
> > Actually, I'm not sure where this should go. You can also make a case
> > that it should go into hw-detect's disk-detect.
>
> I would go on with this idea too.

Hmm. Then why does your proposal below implement it in partman?

> > I guess it depends on how the presence of dmraid can be determined:
> > - does dmraid need to be loaded for that?
>
> 2 things for array detection: modprobe dm-mod and "dmraid -s -c" , see
> my previous post.
>
> > - does it need to be loaded for all systems (would be bad) or can a
> >   kind of preselection be made based on controllers that support it?
>
> If the dmraid invoking gives us "No RAID disks" we could simply skip.

That still requires dm-mod to be loaded, right?
I should like to avoid modprobing dm-mod for systems that do not have any
of the controllers supporting dmraid. This is especially important for
older systems using lowmem installations.

> > Maybe discover could be used/extended for this?
>
> We should ask discover maintainers to add a dmraid call if it
> finds /sbin/dmraid ?

No, just to answer the question "does controller support dmraid".

> 2 We ask in high priority to enable it and in medium debconf we enable
> without asking.

You are confusing priorities here:
- critical: least questions asked
- high: default mode
- medium: very nice mode for more control
- low: "expert" mode, all questions and messages shown

So it should be enabled by default at high priority and ask the question
at medium.

> 3 Invoke partman on /dev/mapper/nvidia_jbdaccab and let the user
> proceed as usual.

How do you "hide" the physical devices? Or is that done automatically?

Other d-i components that probably will need to be adapted are
grub-installer and lilo-installer, but that can come after the changes in
either disk-detect and/or partman.