Re: Yaird, grub and d-i should also support dmraid devices.

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:37:22PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 08:34, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I am not entirely sure, but i belive that packages/partman is the place
> > to look for, maybe look at partman-lvm and partman-raid or whatever as
> > inspiration. That said, partman is a bit of spaguetthi code, and i
> > would be glad to help you out as best i can (or maybe others could, who
> > know partman better).
>
> Actually, I'm not sure where this should go. You can also make a case that
> it should go into hw-detect's disk-detect.

Ah, you may be wrong, i have only little understanding of what dmraid really
does, and if it is only used to detect the existing partitions created at the
bios-level, or if it can be used also to create and modify them. I assumed the
second and thus suggested partman, maybe both cases should be handled.

> Also, please look very carefully at which architectures need to support
> this. I see dmraid is built for S/390, but I very much doubt it makes
> sense to support it in d-i for that architecture...

I believe it is x86 only, or at least for those arches able to run the x86
bios in those cards. I may be wrong though.

> Last question: how mature and safe is dmraid? What risk do users run when
> using dmraid? The package description [1] raises some doubts...

Yeah, but is this because it is unsafe to use, because the description has not
been updated in a long time, or just because the dmraid maintainer wanted to
take no risk.

Friendly,

Sven Luther