Re: Yaird, grub and d-i should also support dmraid devices.

On Sunday 06 November 2005 08:34, Sven Luther wrote:
> I am not entirely sure, but i belive that packages/partman is the place
> to look for, maybe look at partman-lvm and partman-raid or whatever as
> inspiration. That said, partman is a bit of spaguetthi code, and i
> would be glad to help you out as best i can (or maybe others could, who
> know partman better).

Actually, I'm not sure where this should go. You can also make a case that
it should go into hw-detect's disk-detect.
If it does go into partman, it should probably go into the early
initialization phase. After all, the device scan that partman does in its
init phase needs to see the physical devices as one logical device and
treat it as such.

I guess it depends on how the presence of dmraid can be determined:
- does dmraid need to be loaded for that?
- does it need to be loaded for all systems (would be bad) or can a
  kind of preselection be made based on controllers that support it?

Maybe discover could be used/extended for this?

The alternative would be to leave selecting dmraid a manual process. In
that case a menu item like we now have for LVM and SW-RAID could be added
and partman would have to do a rescan after activation. IMO this would
not really be very user friendly though.

Also, please look very carefully at which architectures need to support
this. I see dmraid is built for S/390, but I very much doubt it makes
sense to support it in d-i for that architecture...

Last question: how mature and safe is dmraid? What risk do users run when
using dmraid? The package description [1] raises some doubts...

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/dmraid