Re: Yaird, grub and d-i should also support dmraid devices.

Alle 08:34, domenica 6 novembre 2005, hai scritto:

> > Yes If someone quick introduce me to where I should look at first in the
> > svn code (i messed with d-i svn in the past) I should be able to find my
> > way I think.
>
> I am not entirely sure, but i belive that packages/partman is the place to
> look for, maybe look at partman-lvm and partman-raid or whatever as
> inspiration.

Nice start! tnx.

> That said, partman is a bit of spaguetthi code, and i would be
> glad to help you out as best i can (or maybe others could, who know partman
> better).

I am a spaghetti eater so I think I could feel at home :-)

> BTW, what is dmraid about, does it allow to create and manage raid arrays
> for bios-raid cards ?

Exactly it use device mapper to build arrays that differs by metadata, I'm not
so happy with is /sys interface btw.

> What about some real-raid cards, likethe 3ware one i
> got ?

Real raids should be supported if different ways, by scsi devices in kernel I
think.

In my opinion dmraid is a dual boot solution for desktops, If you are going to
use only debian/linux in a machine is better to go with mdadm's md volumes,
is more versatile and recoverable.

Is good to have dmraid support for power users that have also another os
installed (yes that one) and want to do not lose their previously configured
cheap raid powers installing also our beloved distro.

For servers is useless and deprecated, but we all love our users so we should
provide dmraid to them.

--
ESC:wq