Re: Yaird, grub and d-i should also support dmraid devices.

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 01:53:07AM +0100, Marco Amadori wrote:
> Alle 01:38, domenica 6 novembre 2005, hai scritto:
>
> > A quicker solution is probably to help implement dmraid in d-i [1].
> > Working on something like this for d-i typically needs someone who has
> > the hardware.
>
> I have the hardware until tomorrow then I will put my hands on it in about 2-3
> weeks.
>
> But I remember well the dmraid environment since I pushed my head on it so
> hard in the last few days, one quick note seems that grub cannot have "saved"
> in menu.lst or will mess the array :-(
>
> > We can give you access to the d-i repository fairly quickly, but that is
> > not really needed at first [2].
>
> Yes If someone quick introduce me to where I should look at first in the svn
> code (i messed with d-i svn in the past) I should be able to find my way I
> think.

I am not entirely sure, but i belive that packages/partman is the place to
look for, maybe look at partman-lvm and partman-raid or whatever as
inspiration. That said, partman is a bit of spaguetthi code, and i would be
glad to help you out as best i can (or maybe others could, who know partman
better).

BTW, what is dmraid about, does it allow to create and manage raid arrays for
bios-raid cards ? What about some real-raid cards, likethe 3ware one i got ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther