Re: Installer hangs while booting

Hans-Thomas Götz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i try to install debian 3.1 on one of my machines, but the installer
> seems to fail somehow - it stops responding and nothing is happening for
> more than 10 Minutes ( i even waited more than 30 Minutes sometimes ).
< ... >
> When i boot from cdrom/dvdrom i just press return to accept the default
> linux 2.4 Kernel. I get a menu to select the language ( english ), a
> second menu to select the region ( germany ) and at last a menu to
> select the keymap to use ( german ). After that the hardware-detection
> starts. It displays the message: "Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM
> drives" and below the progress-bar (5% ) there is the message "Loading
> module 'aic7xxx' for 'Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W / 7890/7891' ..." There it
> stops and nothing is happening for more than half a hour. The hdd led is
> burning constantly, but the DVD-ROM is doing nothing at all. I tried to
> use the 2.6 kernel but it fails even befor i reach the first menu with
> the last message something like "net: protocol family 2" or somthing
> like that. I tried to use several installer options to disable ide-dma
> or acpi or apic etc. but nothing works.
>
> When i use expert-made i make it to the menues. The Problem is that most
> of the time the installer stops responding while i am browsing the
> menus. This happens in more than 95% of the time; in fact i only managed
> to start cdrom-detection once and there it hangs at the same step as
> before: ( 14% ) with the message: "Loading module 'aic7xxx' for 'Adaptec
> AHA-2940U2/U2W / 7890/7891' ...". Ok, i managed to deselect scsi-support
> and every chipset-driver except the PII4X4 ide. Now, CD-Rom detection
> stops with the following message:
>
> I removed the network- and the ISDN-card, but nothing changed. I
> replaced the IBM-HDD with a WD 1000BB but the same problem again.
>
> Just to see if it works, i tried to boot debian-Knoppix 3.4 and basicly
> got the same problem.
>
> My hardware:
> PIII 800
> Asus P2B-S motherboard with Adaptec AHA 2940U2W SCSI-controller on board
> ( Intel 440BX-chipset )
> 256 MB ram
> VGA: Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS graphics card or ATI rage pro 128
>
> PCI-cards:
> Realtec 8139 100MBit-network adapter
> Fritz ISDN-card
>
> ISA-cards:
> Soundblaster AWE 32
>
> IDE:
> primary master: WD 1000BB ( was at first: IBM DTLA 307045 )
> secondary master Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1222
>

> Thanks for any help in advance!
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas

Sorry for the late answer.

This looks like a hardware problem to me.
Could you run a memory (= RAM) test on this machine?
Could you also exchange the IDE cables?
Also changing jumper settings from 'autoselect' to 'master' or 'only drive'
gave me once some improvements.

BTW:
While in expert mode I would suggest, to load 'ide-cd' before the chipset
driver. Sometimes they block each other when loaded in wrong sequence.

By
Christian