[powerpc,32bit] d-i fails to load atkbd on ibm chrp machine (Was Re: problems with debian ppc64 on openpower710)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:16:47PM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
> Hi Sven.
>
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >>1. The text in the "boot.msg" file is "[...] which include the IBM
> >Mmm, what about
> >
> >  ... including IBM 64bit POWER based boxes (everything after POWER3),
> >  except
> >  pre-POWER5 iSeries ...
> >
> >Or something such.
>
> Cool.
>
> >>2. Booting the "install" kernel on the 32 bit IBM B50 takes me to the
> >>"choosing language" menu but at that time i can not use the keyboard
> >>(which is connected with PS/2), perhaps the corresponding driver is
> >
> >Ah, interesting. What driver is used ? Normally it should work, since i
> >have
> >also a ps/2 keyboard on my pegasos and motorola PReP powerstack II machine.
>
> After booting the following cd-image:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/powerpc/20051002/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso
>
> on a IBM RS6k B50 (PowerPC 603) the keyboard (PS/2) is not available.
> After booting with a serial console into "expert" mode, lsmod shows the
> following:
>
> > lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> usbhid                 59012   0
> usbcore               144944   1 usbhid
> unix                   32596   6
> >

> After loading the driver "modprobe atkbd" the PS/2 connected keyboard is
> working.

Interesting, this means that d-i somehow believes the machine is a mac, and
loads the usb modules and not the i8042 & atkbd ones. I wonder why that is, i
doubt those machines have any kind of usb available.

Friendly,

Sven Luther