Lossless repartitioning from Win32

This is my first message to the list, so if I'm contacting the wrong folks, please somebody let me know ;-).

Situation: I've got a new computer with Windows XP pre-installed. I want to make a dual-boot system with XP and Debian. I've downloaded the Debian files and I can boot from the CD-ROM containing them.

Problem: I need to create new partitions for Linux. Various sections of the Debian docs (e.g., "3.5.1.1. Lossless Repartitioning When Starting From DOS, Win-32 or OS/2") appear to claim that I can resize my existing NTFS partition, leaving room for my Linux partitions.

When I reach the disk-partitioning step in the installation (I think it's running "partman"), I'm allowed to select partitions but I can't find a way to change the size. Am I running the wrong partition program? 3.5.1.1. claims I need to run "fips", and there's a "fips20" zip file on the Debian CD (why is it in a zip file, and not just the executable I need?). Is it possible to resize partitions with "partman", if that's what I'm running? 3.5.1.1. tells me to make a bootable floppy, but I don't have a floppy drive (perhaps that was a mistake)...

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers! (I was a tech writer for many years, so I'm happy with being pointed to docs or FAQs or whatever.)

- ced

--
http://badattitudes.com/MT/
http://home.earthlink.net/~count_belisarius/