Re: switch from Reiserfs to ext3: Grub or LILO won't install

Hello Anne

I'm sorry for the late answer!
Just was a little bit busy.

Netbasics BV - Beheer wrote:
>> I installed the amd64 version of Sarge. I chose Reiserfs, did my testing
>> and installed it again on a ext3 partition.
>>
>> Which version of sarge?
>
> I downloaded this one: debian-31r0a-amd64-binary-1.iso dated June 13.

OK.

>> Now Grub won't install:
>> The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
>> (/boot actually doesn't exist)
>>
>> What partitions do you have?
>> Especially, does /boot not exist because you have a /boot partition?
>> This should be mounted in /target/boot while installing!
>
> partition 1: /  (70 Gb)
> partition 2: /swap (3 Gb)
>
> I don't have a /boot partition. Should I try it?

No, it's not necessary in your configuration.

Could you check if there is a /target/boot/ directory while installing?
You can do this in VT2 (ALT+F2), just before installing grub.

>> same for LILO. It hangs at
>> Setting up LILO 22.6.1-6.2
>>> I tried everything from automatic partitioning to manually creating
>>> partitions.
>> How did you manually partition?
>> With fdisk, cfdisk, parted or some DOS/Windoze partitioner?
>
> I only used the partitioner which comes with the installer.
> I tried the automatic partitioning and creating them myself.
> I also tried a setup with a swap partition first and then the / partition.

OK, then you used partman exclusively.
This should be OK then.
Hint:
I heard from an installation which had your problem because of a wrong
partition type set on the root partition.

>>> I also cleared the MBR using:
>>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1
>>>
>>> Nothing helps. Interesting part is when I reinstall on a Reiserfs
>>> partition again, Grub installs fine.
>> Did you try to format the partition manually with ext3 before installing?
>
> No, I did not. There's clearly a progress bar when the partition is
> formatted and all the files are installed fine. Just installing the boot
> loader fails.
> Should I try formatting manually with a Knoppix cd?

No, thanks.
I just had one installation, where manually formating the partition before
installation made problems.
So I just wanted to rule this out.

>>> It's a RAID5 setup. When installing on Reiserfs I don't need to do
>>> anything special so I don't see why ext3 would be different.
>> I assume this is a hardware RAID 5 controller.
>> The filesystem type shouldn't matter.
>
> Yes, it's an Adaptec 21xx controller
< cut >

So debian sees this as an ordinary SCSI disk.
No problem here also.

Bye
Christian