Re: a blindunfriendly Sarge installer problem

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:59:01PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> (OP included in BCC as requested)
>
> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:49, Osvaldo La Rosa wrote:
> > - my method:
> > I open with alt+f2 a new console where I was able to mount a floppy
> > containing a statically linked brltty bin;
> > then, switching again to alt+f1 or launching dbootstrap was Ok to have
> > braille support during installation.
> >
> > - Sarge's problem:
>
> Are you aware of the floppy based "speakup" installation that is available
> for Sarge?

I'm not using speech, only braille support.

> This page has information on it:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/index#speakup
>
> You may be interested in reading this thread that gives some insight in
> the reason for the status of these images:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/07/msg01330.html

This can only help people who currently uses speech, and Speakup is
supporting English-speaking hardware synths, (or tuxtalk) while installing
a Fr or Nl Debian Sarge with English-sounding speech is quite impossible.

The thing to do is just like unde Mandriva, (or Knoppix): being able to
pass params to the kernel of the installer so that you have braille
support while installing,
+ the useful+permanent toolbar who tells were the cursor is near.

In general braille is the prime interface for us since it is more
universal than speech.

Osvaldo La Rosa.