Re: switch from Reiserfs to ext3: Grub or LILO won't install

Hi Netbasics Beheer

Netbasics BV - Beheer wrote:
> I installed the amd64 version of Sarge. I chose Reiserfs, did my testing
> and installed it again on a ext3 partition.

Which version of sarge?

> Now Grub won't install:
> The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
> (/boot actually doesn't exist)

What partitions do you have?
Especially, does /boot not exist because you have a /boot partition?
This should be mounted in /target/boot while installing!

> same for LILO. It hangs at
> Setting up LILO 22.6.1-6.2
>
> I tried everything from automatic partitioning to manually creating
> partitions.

How did you manually partition?
With fdisk, cfdisk, parted or some DOS/Windoze partitioner?

Did you try to
> I also cleared the MBR using:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1
>
> Nothing helps. Interesting part is when I reinstall on a Reiserfs
> partition again, Grub installs fine.

Did you try to format the partition manually with ext3 before installing?

> It's a RAID5 setup. When installing on Reiserfs I don't need to do
> anything special so I don't see why ext3 would be different.

I assume this is a hardware RAID 5 controller.
The filesystem type shouldn't matter.

BTW:
Problems like this should be send to the BTS as "installation-reports"[1]!

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Bye
Christian