Re: GTK frontend update and maybe time for an experimental netinst cd?

> > who can help us in choosing the right font packages? and who will build
> > the corresponding udebs? (i suppose all the fonts you're mentioning are
> > available as standrad .debpackage sonly, right?) maybe the same
> > mantainers of the corresponding packages?
> > Since size matters what kind of font should we use? vectorial
> > (truetype,adobe type 1) or bitmapped?
>
> I think we'll more easily find True Type fonts, but I may be wrong and
> I'm not a font wizard.
>
> Here is the current list of fonts on my system.
>
> ttf-bangla-fonts                                install
> ttf-bengali-fonts                               install
> ttf-devanagari-fonts                            install
> ttf-freefont                                    install

this font is crap, it has no hinting
I use ttf-dejavu instead which looks great (bitstreamvera drived) and
has all the correct diacritics for Romanian ( including t with comma
and s with comma - but currently we do not use these correct glyphs
due to lack of supporting fonts, especially in windows wolrd - instead
of comma glyphs we use cedilla ones because MS and other assuemd that
iso8559-2 is right for Romanian, but that is not true)

If correct fonts would be used, we could transit to the correct set of
diacritics easier.

> ttf-gujarati-fonts                              install
> ttf-indic-fonts                                 install
> ttf-kannada-fonts                               install
> ttf-malayalam-fonts                             install
> ttf-oriya-fonts                                 install
> ttf-punjabi-fonts                               install
> ttf-tamil-fonts                                 install
> ttf-telugu-fonts                                install
>
> Besides ttf-freefont, all these are needed for some Indic scripts
> languages (which I don't read....I just want to be sure I can display them).
>
> I have to admit that I have installed all of these rudely, without
> taking care of which is nedded for what language. Many of these have
> one of the Indic language names in their name, so I just can guess
> that each is appropriate for one of these languages.
>
> Anyway, debian-in-workers will help us here. Definitely.
>
> So, folks, our goal is here to decide *which* fonts are actually
> mandatory to display your languages.
>
> Other fonts on my system:
>
> x-ttcidfont-conf                                install
> xfonts-100dpi                                   install
> xfonts-100dpi-transcoded                        install
> xfonts-75dpi                                    install
> xfonts-75dpi-transcoded                         install
> xfonts-base                                     install
> xfonts-base-transcoded                          install
> xfonts-efont-unicode                            install
> xfonts-efont-unicode-ib                         install
> xfonts-intl-arabic                              install
> xfonts-intl-asian                               install
> xfonts-intl-chinese                             install
> xfonts-intl-chinese-big                         install
> xfonts-intl-european                            install
> xfonts-intl-japanese                            install
> xfonts-intl-japanese-big                        install
> xfonts-intl-phonetic                            install
> xfonts-konsole                                  install
> xfonts-scalable                                 install
> xfonts-thai-ttf                                 deinstall
>

> As soon as we decide which fonts we will need, then we need to get in
> touch with the maintainer and ask him/her to create a udeb (through a
> bug report.....but we might need to *help* maintainers with patches).

trascoded fonts are definetly needed for central european languages...

> We have the ttf-freefont as a model so building patches for udeb
> production should be easy.

Now I understand....

--
Regards,