Installation on Sony Vaio VGN-A417[S|M]: Opinions

All,

I'm a Debian newbie (used Sarge for ~6 months) but
need to buy a laptop as I will be travelling and
living in continental Europe (on business) during the
next two years.

I was referred here by the debian-laptop mailing list
because I'd like to know if this laptop will be an
installation nightmare, given my lack of experience.

The laptop in question is a Sony Vaio VGN-A417S and
has a 100Gb SATA harddisk (HTS541080G9SA00) on the
ICH6 chipset . I believe the installer has struggled
with these in the past:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/07/msg00758.html

The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X600.

The most detailed laptop specs I could find are:
http://tinyurl.com/btl54

Could anyone tell me how easy it is likely to be to
use the official NetInst for Etch or Sarge on this
laptop? I think it would be wise for me to stay away
from a daily NetInst release.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies.
Kind regards,

James.