sarge install error ...

Hello,

Just wanted to make you aware of a problem some user encountered. I don't know
more, except that a sarge netinst CD failed, while a sid netinst iso worked
fine.

The error was :

  stable i386 sarge iso netinstall gives me input/output error on /target/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d when installing
  grub.  same error on all apt-install execution, same error if I touch the file to create it. no error for any
  other new file I create in the same dir.

The cd media worked fine previously on other installs, and the input/output
error is on /target and not the cd (apparently).

The ide disk is secondary master and the cd is primary master, and the
installation problem seem to happen during grub installation. IT seems to be a
via c3 based motherboard, but no further details.

I am not sure the user will file an installation report, even though i urged
him to, so i will forward this here in order to not loose the report. Henes,
if you find time, please do a proper error report, including the failure to
detect the rtl 8150 network card.

Friendly,

Sven Luther