Re: D-I update for Sparc (daily builds)

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:59:45PM -0700, Tyler wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >The default kernel for sparc64 installations is now 2.6.12,
> >with 2.4.27 as alternative.
 <snip/>

> What is the address where the daily builds are available?  Also, does
> this imply that there is a *working* bootable image for people having
> the Fast MMU Access error with any/all CD's they've tried thus far?  If
> it doesn't fix this problem, when can we expect a working image?  Also,
> is there a direct link to an image that *does* work... the only one I've
> found to be reported as working around this bug, was a daily image from
> a few months ago, that is no longer on any archives/sites/mirrors that I
> can find.

Visit http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status
for another click to the daily images.

About the "Fast MMU Access" error:

<beware because="these could be rumours">
  What I understand for the problem is that the sysvinit source code
  is fine, but for Sparc generates the compiler executable code that
  uses registers that are not available in all Sparc CPUs.
</beware>

It is worth to try again. The buildd log at
  http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=sysvinit&ver=2.86.ds1-1.1&arch=sparc&stamp=1124310602&file=log&as=raw
says that sysvinit is now rebuild with GCC 4.01. The previous version
from januari was build with 3.3.

> Thanks,
> Tyler.

Please provide feedback