Re: [D-I manual] typo in appendix/exemple-preseed.xml

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
>
>> Philippe Batailler wrote:
>
>>> Is it utc or gmt?
>
>> There is no significant difference between UTC and GMT as far as what
>> it's used for here.
>
> The difference is, that GMT does not exist as a technical term since the
> year 1926.

If by "technical term" you mean what astronomers might use for determining
the time of their observations, then you'd be right.

If what we're actually interested in is the name of the local timezone
around the 0 meridian, then in the UK at least, we call it GMT -- I'm not
aware of any countries that claim to be in the UTC timezone.

The problem to which you allude is that GMT used to be synonymous with UT1,
and is now used to refer to UTC, which can be different from UT1 by up to
0.9 seconds, so for scientific work using GMT can be ambiguous (to make
things worse, astronomers used to start the GMT day at noon before 1925 so
as not to have to bother with a date change around midnight when observing)

Anyone care about the difference between POSIX time and UTC?  ;-)

Cheers, Phil.