Re: Needed space for chroot installing sarge

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:31:52PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> mrvn@frosties:~% du -h --max-depth 0 /mnt/chroot/sid
> 201M    /mnt/chroot/sid
>
> That is a clean sid chroot with build-essential installed. A lot of
> space is wasted on the Packages/Sources files: 37M (I have 2 mirrors
> so double the needed space).

Well package sources can be rather big.  And the page was for stable,
not sid.  Sid might be growing.

I know I currently have an install of sarge I use on an embedded project
I am working on and we have added a few things that are not part of a
base install of sarge and removed just a couple of packages we didn't
need, and our install is 176M.  Without the extra packages added I would
think 150 might be doable, but 200 or 250 would probably be a more
reasonable recomendation.

> Given that you normaly need some place to download debs to
> (/var/cache/apt) 150MB might be too little nowadays while
> installing. Or just barely enough. Hey, it says at least.

True the space needed during the install may be more than that.  If
installing from cd or nfs though, you don't need space in /var for the
packages.

Len Sorensen