Re: install report -- Dell Precision M70

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:11:11PM -0400, martin yazdzik wrote:
> Same here on Dell latitude D810.
>
> As to the resolution, it is fixable in the conf files once the OS and driver
> are loaded.
>
> However, I have been unable to install any debian rc on any of three dell
> pcsso I suspect it is a SATA driver that is missing from the 2.6 kernel.

I had a bunch of trouble with one Dell laptop because it seems to use an
intel SATA controller forced into combined mode and has no bios option
to turn that crap off.  I could either see the ATAPI devices (dvd) or
the harddisk but not both, until I built a kernel with the SATA ATAPI
stuff enabled, which is far from considered complete at this time.

Stupid Dell.  I suspect they don't give you the option to use the
controller in native mode to avoid tech support calls from people who
can't install Win XP on the machine in that mode (since that requires a
modified XP cdrom with SATA drivers, or a floppy with drivers which is
hard to use when the machine has no floppy drive).

Len Sorensen