Re: GDM does not inherit XKB settings from Debian installer (was Re: [xkb] Re: Eliminating language-based layouts)

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:14:03PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > * X doesn't inherit tr_f from the installer.
>
> Can you please check your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?

I had, it was us, and it still is (after I added Turkish F in gnome):

fg@debian:~$ grep XkbLayout /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"

> > * gnome doesn't inherit tr_f from the installer.
>
> Yes, this seems to be the root of the problem.
> This bugreport is currently assigned to localization-config, so
> maybe Konstantinos can tell whether he is willing to preseed gdm
> settings.

I looked at the
.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb/%gconf.xml, there was only
us there. I can see this also in the GUI (it is Applications -> Desktop
preferences -> Keyboard).

> > * I need to learn how to set up layout switch in gnome since I use a us
> >   keyboard and can't type Turkish F blindly. What is that "caps:shift"
> >   thingy? I'll try it tomorrow.
>
> This means that Caps Lock acts as a locked Shift key; this makes a
> difference on the upper row (the one with digits), but I do not know
> why it is set.

Hmm, I would say this is rather unusual. Just checked, Windows doesn't
do this. Maybe they are emulating Turkish F typewriters :) .

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.